Craftmaking: Homemade Fun
During the months of summer vacation, it can be easy for families to while away the hours watching television, playing video games, or being glued to a new app. For a change of pace, why not try making handicrafts or doing another creative activity with family members?
Crafting is an activity that everyone in your family can have fun doing together and you’ll be left with something that you can be proud of afterwards, whether it be a story, a piece of artwork, or a handmade toy.
Stop by the library and pick up one or more of these books to get the creative juices flowing for you and your family:
- Fun Family Crafts
- Show Me a Story: 40 Craft Projects and Activities to Spark Children’s Storytelling
- Side by Side: 20 Collaborative Projects for Crafting with Your Kids
- The Big Book of Crafts and Activities
- The Incredible Year-round Playbook
- The Simple Joys of Grandparenting: Stories, Nursery Rhymes, Recipes, Games, Crafts, and More
The libraries are also offering several crafting events and other activities for children and all ages during the summer. Come join in the fun!
- Baby Bounce and Rhyme Time
- Food Science: Geysers & Instant Ice Cream
- Knit with Us
- Mariella Herrera Music Program
Photo credit: woodleywonderworks
Jessica Chung is a MLIS student and an intern for the San Mateo County Library.