Famous Couples of Children’s Literature
I met the author John Burningham years ago, and was surprised to learn he was married to another well known children’s author, Helen Oxenbury. They both have written many books, but have only collaborated on one. There is an interview with photos of the couple in Publisher's Weekly.
I began looking into other author and author/illustrator couples, and have found quite a few.
Couples Who Have Worked Together on Books
- John Burningham and Helen Oxenbury
- Jerry and Eileen Spinelli
- Carmela and Steve D’Amico (Ella the Elephant Series)
- Allan and Janet Ahlberg
- Alice and Martin Provensen
- Brian Pinkney and Andrea Davis Pinkney
- Anne and Harlow Rockwell
- Bill and Carol Wallace
- Leo and Diane Dillon
- Ted and Gloria Rand
- H. A. and Margret Rey
- Leonard Marcus and Amy Schwartz
Other Couples Who Write Separately
Photo credit: Publishers Weekly
DeAnn O. has been a children’s librarian for over 15 years; she is a long time bibliophile, children’s advocate, and book reviewer for School Library Journal.